How can I find articles on a topic?
- To find medical or nursing articles, search in medical or nursing databases such as CINAHL, Ovid MEDLINE, or PubMed . These databases are all available through the HSHS Library website.
- Find evidence-based articles by searching one or more of the Evidence-Based databases available on the HSHS Library website.
- Search easy-to-use Google Scholar to find references to scholarly articles on various topics. There also may be links to some free full-text articles.
- Go to Databases A-Z list to find other possible databases to search.
- To help you search effectively, there are Tutorials and Search Aids available for databases such as Ovid MEDLINE, PubMed, CINAHL, etc., There is also a CINAHL Searching guide.
- If you need help getting started, please ask staff for help.
How can I get a copy of an article?
- If you have a reference to a specific article, go to Full Text Finder tab on HSHS Library page. This lists all journal titles (and e-book titles) that the Library has access to electronically or in print.
- Type in the first few words of the journal title to see if we have it. (If you are not sure of the title or are looking for words anywhere in a title, change dropdown list to "title contains all words"and type in a word or words in any order that might appear in the journal title, for example, "nursing research".) (Note: You will retrieve both journals & e-books unless you click on "journals" tab to limit your result to journals.)
- If the title is listed, check the date of the article to make sure it's included in the title listing. Click on the appropriate link for the date you need to go to the journal. (Note: Print holdings cannot be accessed electronically.)
- You will still have to locate the correct year, volume, issue, and beginning page number for your article. If there is a link to the PDF version of the article, select PDF to print out or save.
- PubMed & Google Scholar have links to some free full-text articles.
- Some of the Library's databases, such as Ovid MEDLINE & CINAHL, have links to free full text articles.
St. John's Hospital
Health Sciences Library
800 E. Carpenter St.
Springfield, IL 62769
Phone: 217-544-6464 ext 44566